Injury Prevention And Public Education
Promote programs and activities that reduce preventable injuries, disability and premature death due to trauma.
2017-18 WREMS Prevention Grants Were Awarded to the Following:
- $3,000 to Lewis County Coroner for Water Safety Education
- $3,000 to Lewis County Fire Dist 3 for smoke detectors and fire safety education
- $1,200 to Lewis County Fire Dist 15 for smoke detectors and fire safety ecucation
- $3,000 to Lewis County Fire Dist 15 for teen driver safety
- $3,000 to Lewis County Public Health for Naloxone
- $800 to Safe Kids Thurston County for a life jacket loaner cabinet
- $3,000 to South Beach Fire and EMS for water rescue equipment
- $3,000 to Westport Fire Dept for older adult fall prevention
Investing in Prevention Saves Lives and Money
Community Resources for Families
Where to Seek Help is a resource tool that families can use to find early childhood support services in Thurston County.
Prevent Fires campaign from the Office of the State Fire Marshall
- In the event of a fire every second counts, so you and your family must always be prepared. Escape plans help you get out of your home quickly.
- Draw a map of each level of your home and show all doors and windows. Have two ways out of each room. Make sure all doors and windows that lead outside open easily.
- Only purchase collapsible escape ladders evaluated by a recognized testing laboratory. Use the ladder only in a real emergency.
- Teach children how to escape on their own in case you cannot help them.
- Have a plan for everyone in your home who has a disability.
- Practice your fire escape plan at night and during the daytime
- US Fire Administration
- Fire Safety Information Center
- Every bedroom needs a working smoke alarm
Child Window Falls Prevention
Safe Sleep for Infants
The WA State Criminal Justice Training Commission, in partnership with Mary Bridge Childrens Hospital and the Snohomish County Prosecutor's Office have produced a training for first responders on safe sleep for infants. Video
Traumatic Brain Injury and Concussion
WA State Injury Data Tables
WA State injury data tables
Injury Prevention Resources